The fast evolving technology has lot to offer and contribute to the growing, developing and developed businesses. However, to prepare your business for the next level it is essential and vital for the enterprise to incorporate performance-oriented solutions that will make the existing system more productive.
Define software migration?
It is the practice of transferring software systems to other technologies, platforms also architecture and programming languages. Software migration is mainly about transferring and moving to a dynamic datacenter which will include adjusting and re-engineering a database or application to fit a different environment and platform. To put it in simple terms, software migration is a process of transferring operating systems, applications, networks, CMS (Content Management Systems), databases or the complete IT Infrastructure.
There are different types of software and system migrations like:
• Application migration
• Enterprise Resource Planning migration
• Operating System migration
• Database migration
• Cloud migration
• Content Management System migration
• IT infrastructure migration
When we talk about software migration it is relatable to mention legacy system. Legacy systems are older technologies which are rather complex and powerful but require modifications, updates and enhancements so they can support the innovate business models. Modernizing the legacy system will certainly make it more productive for the business without increasing the total cost of ownership.
Any evolving business will require software migration for:
• Legacy transformation: software migration of the legacy system means modernizing the original one that would become adept and efficient in supporting the new operating systems, hardware and business processes.
• Platform transformation: if an organization is planning for a platform change (such as Windows OS to Mac OS) then it will also require to port or migrate the existing applications to the new one.
• Business changes: sometimes software migrations are done not just to meet the technical needs of the current industry but also to serve the customer demands. For instance, migrating to internet applications from desktop applications.
Your application migration, software migration or program migration, all mean the same thing where it mainly represents transfer from one environment to another. This transfer could be from one server to another, from one cloud to another or from an on-premises business server to cloud based domain.
It can be daunting and arduous task to carry out the process of migration. Therefore it is important to evaluate and plan out the process and the types of systems you are aiming to migrate. There are certain software migration blunders and mistakes that we would like you to be aware of:
• It is a major mistake to not test and check thoroughly at every level of migration process.
• One should not skip the part of planning out the long-term migration roadmap with the desirable outputs.
• It is certainly a software migration mistake if you are not keeping and maintaining the thorough documentation all through the process.
• Not involving in-house experts in the migration process can be a blunder. Even if you have hired migration service providers it is important that in-house team is well-informed and involved in the process.
• Not having a back-up or contingency plan in case members of migration team quit or abandon the organization.
Methods for Software Migration:
Businesses and enterprises planning for software migration should know that there are different methods to transfer and migrate the applications and software and some of them we have below:
• Standard method of Uninstall & Reinstall:
This method is basically handled by the in-house team of the organization. In this traditional process of software migration one just has to uninstall the old software and then reinstall the new software on the same device. It can be carried out by each team member independently or an IT data center can complete the process on all devices in bulk.
• Method of Reengineering:
Re-engineering method for software migration is performed by in-house professionals. In this process of migration, the in-house experts design and develop bespoke and customized migration solutions rather than buying off-the-shelf services which might not fit the business requirements.
• Process of Re-hosting:
The software migration process of re-hosting is administered by third party migration software. It is best when you don’t require major and extensive changes in your legacy system. It is best of your organization if what you are looking for is just a new platform for the system modernization.
• Package Implementation method:
The package implementation software migration method also involves third party migration software. Organizations with agile methodology fit well to this type of migration where you want to get rid of the legacy applications while preventing investing all the resources on re-engineering the system.
At Midas, we take all the necessary and essential steps to make sure you get the reliable services and desirable results. Therefore, we perform extensive analysis of the business environment before planning out the appropriate approaches and suitable technology platforms that is not just cost-effective but also risk-proof. We offer distinguished services like legacy integration, porting & migration, robust scalable systems and automated & error-free migration.
Feel free to contact us for further information and we will make sure that you get better than what you are expecting.